Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Preparation for the Laurel Highlands 70 Mile

The Laurel Highlands 70 Mile is a point to point cross country run on some of the most difficult terrain in Pennsylvania (check out the link). I've attempted this race four times and came up short four times. The fifth time has to be the charm.

It's exactly 13 miles from the State Correctional Institution at Pittsburgh, (my place of employment) to my home. I work midnights, so to force myself to put in the long-run miles, I often run home from work. Then, after a few hours of sleep and a shower, I run back to work, a 26 mile training run. Two days ago I did one of my last such long training runs before the event. Depending on how I feel, with 14 days out, I may attempt another.

I took the day off yesterday, then did a modified version of the crossfit "Totals" workout this morning:

"Totals"
Complete five rounds of 10 of the following:

Back Squat: 185, 245, 245, 245, 245
Shoulder Press: 90, 115, 125, 115, 115
Deadlift: 245

Feeling invigorated after my crossfit workout, I decided to get out for a six mile training run in the afternoon. So far, this is 32 miles for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment